Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Tip Tip Hooray! A Guide to Tipping


      A common issue that I have came across ever since I started in the work force is tipping. Yes, I know you are probably thinking "Why do I have to tip, I am already paying enough?" Or "My service sucked so why should I leave a good tip." Well the answer is, no you do not have to tip. BUT it is preferred, especially anytime someone does a service for you. So instead of constantly hearing complaining about this I thought, why not write out the golden rules and get the word spread going. Don't worry I wont make this super long for those of you who hate to read(:

     For any Hair stylist, Nail tech, Aesthetician, Massage therapist, or any other service provider IT IS ALWAYS encouraged to tip. How much shall you ask? 15-20% of the service before taxes is a proper tip. Not too bad huh? Get a $25 set of nails and somewhat like them? Tip 15% which comes out to 3.75, but I always like to round up. Typically if I have been going to the same person for quite some time I tend to always tip way more than what is preferred. I like to think of it as, you take care of me and I will take care of you. So yes my nail lady always receives at least $10 on a set of nails.

    Now that we got the services out of the way, let's talk about the food industry. Ever since I was 16 I have been working in the food industry and boy have I heard and seen it all. I have seen parties of 20 leaving an entire mess and a $3 tip after taking up the servers section for 2 hours as well as running that poor girl to death (Which in fact she was one of the best servers in the restaurant). Seeing that crappy $3 left behind makes you want to march right up to the table and hand it back to them. It's almost like a slap in the face of disrespect. I have also experienced large masses of to-go orders which, little do you know takes a lot of preparation. I always double check my work, put all the supplies they would possibly need and even showed them everything just to ensure the food was to their liking before they left. I don't have to do any of that, I could just throw it all in a bag and say "Here you go, have a nice night." But I don't, it is against what I believe is right and my excellent customer service. So, now that I gave you this true story... I will tell you what you need to know so you can get on your way. Breakfast/Lunch it is preferred to tip 15%, and dinner is 20%. See two easy numbers that you have seen before, again I always like to tip more just because I have been in the industry and I know how challenging making ends meat is. This is a hard job, yes everyone can be a server. But not everyone can be a great server, it takes excellent customer service skills and knowing how to assist each and every guest properly. If you have a crappy server and it is clear that they are (Takes 10 minutes to greet you, wont refill any drinks, wont check on you) this is the only time to tip 10-15%. Never not leave them something, leave them a tip and let them know on the receipt what they could do better and that you would have left more. This will give them something to work on, so moral of the story regardless if you are getting your hair/nails done or out to eat. ALWAYS tip, you never know if they are relying on that tip to pay a bill. How would you like it if you were stiffed?


Thanks guys, let's get our generation and our world better at tipping.

XOXO Sedona

No comments:

Post a Comment